High Contrast
Normal Contrast



You have the right

As a service user of Brophy you have the right to involve an advocate of your choice to represent you at any time.

What is an advocate?

An advocate is someone you choose to speak on your behalf and express your views or provide you with independent support or be your witness or your record keeper.
It can be a trusted friend or family member, or it can be an agency whose role is to advise people about their rights and responsibilities when receiving services, and to act on your behalf with other service providers.
Agencies like this are known as ’Advocacy’ agencies and people who act on their behalf are known as ‘Advocates’.
Brophy Family and Youth Services respect the rights of all consumers to appoint an advocate of their choice, or to use the services of professional advocacy services.
Our staff will encourage the use of a consumer advocate as required.

Role of an advocate?

The role of an advocate will be discussed with you when you first access our services.
However, you may engage an advocate at any stage while you are receiving services.
You will need to give your consent for an advocate to access information on your behalf.

The following advocacy services are available to you:

South West Advocacy
Warrnambool VIC 3280 Ph 5561 4584

Office of the Public Advocate
5th Floor, 436 Lonsdale Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph 9603 9529 or 1800 136 829 toll free

Homelessness Advocacy Services
34 Brunswick Street Fitzroy VIC 3065
Ph 1800 066 256 toll free

The Ombudsman Victoria
Ph 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314 toll free